Portobello Mushroom Fajitas
These diabetic mushroom fajitas are heart healthy and relatively easy to make. 30 minutes prep which mostly consists of chopping!
( Retrieved from http://www.easy-diabetic-recipes.com/index.html )
[tab title=”Cooking Time”]
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 7-10 minutes
Yields 6 servings
Per fajita: 225 calories 8 g protein 8 g fat 30 g carbohydrate 2 g fiber
- 4 larges Portobello mushroom caps; slice into long thin strips
- 2 larges Onions; slice into long thin strips
- 2 larges Green peppers; slice into long thin strips
- 1 large Red pepper; slice into long thin strips
- 2 tablespoons White wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons Finely minced cilantro
- 1 tablespoon Finely minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon Ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon Paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon Black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Chili powder
- Chop and combine fajita filling in a shallow bowl
- Add sliced vegetables to vinegar mixture and marinate for 15 – 30 minutes.
- Place vegetables in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat for 5 minutes or until vegetables are cooked but still slightly crisp. Drain any left-over liquid and place vegetables in a serving dish.
- Place vegetables on table along with the following condiments in their own small dishes: 6 eight inch flour tortillas (preferably whole wheat) (heat in microwave for 1 minute) reduced fat cheddar cheese salsa low fat sour cream Assemble fajitas by rolling 1/6 vegetable mixture and desired toppings into a tortilla.
Notes: Portabello mushrooms in this dish have a meaty texture and flavor and take the place of the usual beef/chicken found in fajitas.
Diabetes Action Research & Education Foundation 426 C Street, NE Washington, DC 20002 Recipe of The Week MC formatted using MC Buster 2.0f & SNT on 5/6/98 Recipe by
Posted to MC-Recipe Digest by Parb at PK on May 9, 1998